Andrew A. Chien
- William Eckhardt Professor
- Department of Computer Science
- Senior Fellow
- Computation Institute
- Senior Computer Scientist
- Argonne National Laboratory
Office: Ryerson 257C (at West end)
Phone: 773-834-0117 (pls email)
achien "at" cs dot uchicago dot edu
I have broad interests in systems spanning applications, system software, networking, and architecture. Current interests include: 1) Programming and Computer Architecture for Exascale computers; 2) Data-intensive computing tools which are easy to use; and 3) Programming models and tools for post-Moore's Law computing substrates.
Sc.D. in Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
S.M. in Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
S.B. in Electrical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Andrew served on the National Science Foundation's CISE Advisory Committee from 2006-2010, and the Board of the Computing Research Association from 2006-2011. He has also served on numerous visiting and advisory committees for the Department of Energy, Stanford University, University of California Berkeley, University of Washington and other leading research organizations.
From 2005-2010, Andrew was the Vice President of Research of Intel Corporation where he led long-range and disruptive technologies research in computer science. in this role, he was instrumental in creation of the Universal Parallel Computing Research Centers (UPCRC) focused on parallel software, the Open Cirrus Consortium focused on Cloud computing, and Intelís long range computing technology -- Exascale -- Research program (UHPC).
Chienís previous positions also include the SAIC Endowed Chair Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, and founding Director of the Center for Networked Systems at the University of California at San Diego (1998-2005). From 1999 to 2003, Andrew was Founder and CTO of Entropia, Inc. an early grid computing company. Chien was a Professor of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)(1990-1998).
- Global View Resilience (GVR) Documentation, Release 1.0. Andrew Chien. 5 October, 2014. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- Data Decomposition in Monte Carlo Neutron Transport Simulations using Global View Arrays. Nan Dun; Hajime Fujita; John R. Tramm; Andrew A. Chien; Andrew R. Siegel. 21 May, 2014. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- Log-Structured Global Array for Efficient Multi-Version Snapshots. Hajime Fujita; Nan Dun; Zachary Rubenstein; Andrew A. Chien. 16 May, 2014. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- How Applications use GVR: Use Cases. Andrew A. Chien; The GVR Team. 28 April, 2014. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- Global View Resilience, API Documentation R0.8.1-rc0. Andrew A. Chien; The GVR Team. 28 April, 2014. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- Applying GVR to Molecular Dynamics: Enabling Resilience for Scientific Computations. Aiman Fang; Andrew A. Chien. 24 April, 2014. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- Generalized Pattern Matching Micro-Engine. Yuanwei Fang; Raihan Rasool; Dilip Vasudevan; Andrew A. Chien. 25 March, 2014. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- Fault Tolerance in an Inner-outer Solver: A GVR-enabled Case Study. Ziming Zheng; Andrew A Chien; Mark Hoemmen; Keita Teranishi. 9 January, 2014. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- Error Checking and Snapshot-Based Recovery in a Preconditioned Conjugate Gradient Solver. Zachary Rubenstein; James Dinan; Hajime Fujita; Ziming Zheng; Andrew A Chien. 16 December, 2013. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- Characterizing the Opportunity and Feasibility of Reconfigurable Memory Hierarchies for Improved Energy Efficiency. Pietro Cicotti; Laura Carrington; Andrew A. Chien. 21 August, 2013. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- Calibrating the Relationship between Hardware Customization and Energy Efficiency. Apala Guha; Yao Zhang; Raihan ur Rasool; Andrew A Chien. 11 July, 2013. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- An Evaluation of Difference and Threshold Techniques for Efficient Checkpoints. Sean Hogan; Jeff R. Hammond; Andrew A. Chien. 17 August, 2012. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- Mooreís Law: The First Ending and A New Beginning. Andrew A. Chien; Vijay Karamcheti. 17 August, 2012. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- Systematic Evaluation of Workload Clustering for Designing 10x10 Architectures. Apala Guha; Andrew Chien. 29 June, 2012. Communicated by Andrew Chien.
- The 10x10 Foundation for Heterogeneity: Clustering Applications by Computation and Memory Behavior. Apala Guha; Pietro Ciccotti; Allan Snavely; Andrew A. Chien. 16 February, 2012. Communicated by Andrew Chien.