Dr. Chien is a leading researcher in cloud software (serverless, resource management, …) and cloud hardware (accelerators, graph computing, computational storage,…), supercomputer architecture, and sustainable computing.
Andrew is the founder and current director of the UChicago CERES Center for Unstoppable Computing. He leads the Large-scale Sustainable Systems Research Group. Andrew is a Fellow of the ACM, IEEE, and AAAS and currently serves on the National Science Foundation’s CISE Advisory Committee (2006-2011, 2020-current) as well as DARPA’s Information Science & Technology (ISAT) Study Group. He has served on Advisory Boards for several universities (such as Stanford University, University of California Berkeley, University of Washington, EPFL) as well as national laboratory and corporate research laboratories. From 2017-2022, Dr. Chien served as Editor-in-Chief of the Communications of the ACM (CACM).
From 2005-2010, Andrew was the Vice President of Research of Intel Corporation where he led long-range and disruptive technologies research in computer science and also had global responsibility for government research and university engagement. Chien’s previous positions also include the SAIC Endowed Chair Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, and founding Director of the Center for Networked Systems at the University of California at San Diego (1998-2005). From 1999 to 2003, Andrew was Founder and CTO of Entropia, Inc. an early grid computing company. Chien was a Professor of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)(1990-1998).
Sc.D. in Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
S.M. in Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
S.B. in Electrical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Focus Areas: Sustainable Computing, Renewable Energy, Power Markets Cloud Software, Resource Management, Hardware And System Architecture, Resource Management, Systems
- Sustainable Cloud Computing (Zero Carbon Cloud)
- Recode/UDP – Architecture for Efficient Data Representation and Transformation
- Global View Resilience (GVR)
- Jiajia Zheng, Andrew A. Chien, and Sangwon Suh, Mitigating curtailment and carbon emissions through data center load migration, Joule, August 2020.
- Fan Yang and Andrew A. Chien, Large-scale and Extreme-Scale Computing with Stranded Green Power: Opportunities and Costs , IEEE TPDS, December 2017.
- Hai Nguyen, Chaojie Zhang, Zhujun Xiao, and Andrew A. Chien,Real-time Serverless: Enabling Application Performance Guarantees, Workshop on Serverless Computing (WoSC’19), December 2019.
- Yuanwei Fang, Chen Zou, and Andrew A. Chien, Accelerating Raw Data Analysis with the ACCORDA Software and Hardware Architecture”, VLDB, August 2019.
- Yuanwei Fang, Chen Zou, Aaron Elmore, and Andrew A. Chien. UDP: A Programmable Accelerator for Extract-Transform-Load Workloads and More , MICRO-50, October 2017
- S. Borkar and A. Chien, The Future of Microprocessors, Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery (CACM), May 2011.